Getting Rid of Centipedes
The Centipede-of "hundred-legged worm"- is relatively harmless to humans, though it may occasionally inflict a painful bite (like a bee sting). The centipede is a mostly a pest by presence, frightening speed, and alarming appearance. Centipedes do not cause damage to furniture or food. The way to get rid of most centipedes is by applying the appropriate pesticide in conjunction with limiting favorable conditions.
Step 1) NonChemical Methods of Centipede Pest Control
- Repair cracks, crevices, and gaps around windows, doors, pipes and wires with sealant or caulk
- Makes sure the screens and door sweeps on windows and doors are tight-fitting
Remove Favorabe Conditions
- Fix leaky faucets or pipes and dry up wet or damp areas where centipedes thrive
- Remove outdoor harborages near the home that hold moisture (compost, wood, or leaf piles, etc).
- Store firewood off the ground at least 20 feet away from the home
- Water your lawn in the morning so that it will be dry by afternoon
- Do not over mulch flower beds, since soggy mulch is an ideal harborage for centipedes
Step 2) Chemical Methods of Centipede Pest Control
Contact and Flushing Sprays:
- CB Air Devil HPX is a cypermethrin residual contact kill aerosol that is specially formulated to clear out large numbers of target insects fast, and provides up to 3 months of protection. For treatment of centipedes, spray CB Air Devil around doors and windows and other areas where centipedes may be found or where they may enter premises. Spray baseboards, storage areas and other locations. Repeat as necessary.
Indoor Perimeter Treatment with Residual :
- Demand CS, Suspend SC, and Talstar One are residual liquid formulation pesticides that are added to water and applied with a low-pressure sprayer can provide a powerful residual that continues working for 4 to 8 weeks following application. These residual liquid formulations can be sprayed along the outside perimeter of the home (especially under and around eaves, decks, patios, and window shutters), and inside along baseboards, in cracks and crevices, and other potential centipede harborages. You will know the residual is working because you will begin finding only dead centipedes rather than live ones.
Crack & Crevice Dust Treatments:
- Follow up a liquid residual perimeter treatment with appication of Delta Dust underneath baseboards and into cracks and crevices where centipedes reside, using a hand duster. Dust will remain effective up to 8 months.
Outdoor Treatments for lawn & garden:
- Talstar EZ and Talstar PL Granules are intended for outdoor control. Granules are easy to spread and will protect your lawn from centipedes and other pests for 2 to 3 months. Talstar EZ and PL are essentially the same product, except the PL granules are smaller.
View all Centipede Control Products
How To Get Rid of Millipedes
Centipedes Identification and Biology
General Home Pest Control, do it yourself pest control