Get Rid of Bottle Flies
The Bottle Fly and Blow Fly are both members of the family of common, large flies with a metallic blue, green, bronze, or black sheen. These flies are the ones that make an audible buzzing sound, particularly when flying near windows.
There are 3 basic steps to Bottle Fly Control:
Step 1) Sanitation and Elimination of Breeding Sources
Sanitation is the key to eliminating fly infestations. You can use all the sprays and traps in the world to eliminate Bottle Flies, but you must eliminate the breeding/feeding sources of the pest in order to completely eliminate the pest.
- Keep trash in a receptacle with a tight-fitting lid
- Clean trash receptacles regularly and always use plastic liners
- Promptly dispose of rotting produce
- Inspect areas under and behind appliances for hidden food spills that may be attracting the flies
- Clean under floor mats regularly
Step 2) Exclusion
You will find that fewer Bottle flies and fewer pests in general will find their way into your home if you will only make it more difficult for them to enter.
- Doors leading to the outside should be equipped with self-closing devices or a screen door.
- Keep window and door screens in good repair, without tears or holes.
- Make sure that all doors fit tightly within their frames, with intact weather-stripping.
- Any cracks or gaps around windows and doors should be caulked.
Step 3) Chemical Methods for Bottle Fly Control (Pesticides)
- Catchmaster Goldstick Fly Traps -Catchmaster Gold Sticks are long tubes with a sticky glue and fly pheromone attractant for capturing and killing house flies and other nuisance flies. Catchmaster gold sticks come in a patented "clean access" perforated box that is easy to use and handle.
- Maxforce Granular Fly Bait kills flies in about 60 seconds, and keeps controlling them for up to 30 days.
Liquid Residual Treatments
Spray surfaces around windows and doors where flies have been seen resting or trying to enter structures with a wettable powder such as Cynoff WP or Demon WP. Repeat treatment once a month to maintain residual. Where visible residues are of concern, Talstar One is a highly effective alternative to the wettable powders.
Contact Aerosols & Space Sprays
It may take several weeks for sanitation measures and other methods of fly control to achieve complete elimination. In the meantime, a contact aerosol or a space spray may be used for quick kill of flying adults present in the surrounding area.
View our entire line of Fly Control products, including fly bait, fly traps, and fly lights.
Getting Rid of Flies
Fly Light Traps
Sticky Pheromone Fly Traps
Indoor Fly Control
Outdoor Fly Control
Natural Fly Control
11 of 13 people found this article informative and helpful.