How To Keep Ants Away
Ant Prevention Guide
Make Your Home Undesirable to Ants
- Food source
- Water or moisture
- Harborage or a place to live
- Trim back trees and shrubs so that the branches and foliage do not touch your home to prevent ants from using them to avoid pesticide applications
- Trim up bushes and shrubs so that you can see beneath them to eliminate moist shady areas where ants like to nest
- Rake back mulch, pine straw or other landscape bedding at least 6 inches from structure to create a "dry zone" that ants are likely to avoid
- Turn mulch or other bedding material every couple of weeks to keep moisture retention low and discourage nest building
- Clean out gutters and downspouts frequently as insects and other pests are known to harbor in these areas.
- Mow lawn as needed to keep growth low.
- Remove grass clippings, leaf piles and stacked wood to eliminate harborages
- Remove ripe fruit from trees and off of the ground around trees
- Store outdoor trash cans and dumpsters as far away from structure as possible and be sure they have tight fitting lids
- Thoroughly wash out trash cans and dumpsters with an ammonia solution when needed
Create a Barrier With Insecticide Spray
120 of 129 people found this article informative and helpful.