Chris from New Orleans La. writes,
If a dog eats or picks up a poisoned rat will the poison transfer?
I have a rat problem under my shed, but I have dogs. I'm concerned that one of them will find a poisoned rat and consume some part of it. If something like that happens will my dog get poisoned?
The risk of secondary poisoning with Final Pellets are very minimal. A rodent only consumes a very small amount of bait at a time and passes it very quickly only keeping a smaller amount in their liver until they succumb to the effects of the bait. A dog would have to actually eat 20-30 rodents that have consumed the bait for it to have an effect. In most cases well fed domesticated animals will not actually eat a mouse or a rat that they come across. Instead they will play with it, chew it and then leave it behind.
Answer last updated on: 12/17/2012