Corinne from Summerfield Fl writes,
Is cholecalciferol really safe?
I started using rat baits with vitamin D3 years ago because I have cats and dogs and was worried about their safety. I used the Rampage packets with good results killing rats and even had a dog eat one of the packets with no ill effects. I was just about to reorder for the first time in several years and read on a pet poison web site that calls it one of the most dangerous poisons of the market as there is no remedy for the kidney failure it causes if symptoms go unnoticed for a few days. If pets (8-75 lbs.) cannot access the poison, is there really a risk they could die from eating dying rats? (My dogs will happily eat rats if they can catch them.) Thanks!
Bait should always be kept out of reach of children, pets and non target animals and has low toxicity to predatory birds. Animals normally have to eat their body weight or more in order to become poisoned. If you do suspect your pet has been poisoned by Terad3, you will need to contact your vet as soon as possible.
Answer last updated on: 11/07/2014