Why Shop with Us
Customers also Bought:
Koppert Natupol Class A (UAR1) will help with the pollination of crops in greenhouses. It contains Bombus impatiens or commonly known as earth bumblebee which includes colony with queen, workers and brood (eggs, pupae, larvae), and bag with sugar solution. It will help produce an optimum fruitset of tomato crops, as well as other crops. The hive has 2 flight holes; the first one allows bumblebees to fly in both directions, while the other one only lets them to fly in but not out. To have the bumblebees back in the hive within an hour, close the two-way traffic flight hole. This pack covers 10,000 to 15,000 sq. ft.
IMPORTANT: These are live organisms that are shipped directly from the manufacturer via UPS Next Day Air so they do not die during transit. A physical address is required for UPS to deliver your package. These are only shipped twice a week:
- Orders received by noon (12pm ET) on Monday will be shipped on Thursday for Friday delivery
- Orders received by noon (12pm ET) on Thursday will be shipped on Tuesday for Wednesday delivery
THIS ITEM CANNOT BE CANCELLED OR REFUNDED ONCE ORDERED
CALIFORNIA AND OREGON RESIDENTS WILL NEED TO PROVIDE A PERMIT TO PURCHASE THIS PRODUCT. Please call 866-581-7378 ext 311 to place this order.
|For use in:||Greenhouses, crops|
|NOT FOR SALE TO:||CA, OR|
|Coverage Area:||10,000 to 15,000 sq. ft.|
|Special Features:||It contains Bombus impatiens or commonly known as earth bumblebee which helps with the pollination of your plants.|
|Shipping Weight:||1.00 lbs|
|Manufactured By:||Koppert Biological Systems (Mfg. Number: UAR1)|
- Place the hives preferably evenly distributed along the south-side of the main path in the greenhouse in order to have the maximum shade from the crop in summer
- The best position is on a horizontal platform (avoid inclination else sugar solution may leak). Koppert supplies specially designed bumblebee hive supports for this purpose, which can easily be mounted onto the greenhouse stanchions
- One hive support can carry two hives maximum
- Make sure each hive on a support points to to a different direction
- Before opening the flight hole, allow the colonies to calm down minimum half hour after placing on final position
- Whenever possible, open flight hole when vents are closed to prevent loss of workers
- Natupol performs best at ambient temperatures of 10-30 degrees Celsius / 50-86 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place the hives preferably evenly distributed along the south side of the main path in the greenhouse in order to have maximum shade from the crop in summer. It may be necessary to provide extra shade (e.g. with styrofoam)
- In the direct surrounding of the Carbon Dioxide supply, Carbon Dioxide concentrations can reach dangerous levels for the bumblebees. Therefore cut off any Carbon Dioxide supply in the immediate vicinity of the hive
Special points of attention for crops grown under artificial light
- Bumblebees need UV light for their orientation. When artificial light dominates the natural, bumblebees have problems with their orientation in the greenhouse, especially during the darkest months of the year
- Distribute the hives evenly along the pathway, on a visible place, approximately 2 meter above the ground level, if possible with flight hole facing eastwards
- Open newly placed hives on the day after they are placed, on the lightest moment of the day
- Tomato flowers are open during a certain amount of time after plants receive light (natural or artificial). Bumblebees only fly in natural daylight. Therefore switch on the artificial light not before 2.00 a.m., to create enough hours where flowers can be pollinated ànd bumblebees are able to fly
- Use the BEEHOME system to let the bumblebees fly only during the lightest part of the day. Aim for minimum 4 hours of effective pollination per day. Open hives preferably during the period on the day when the natural light is expected to exceed 20 J/cm2,h. With the help of WIRELESS BEEHOME it is possible to manage this automatically
- Bumblebees may become damaged by flying against the lamps. Introduce extra hives to compensate for loss of workerbees. Preferably use larger (E or EE) colonies)
- Gradual increase of the hours artificial light per day contributes to a balanced crop with good flower quality
If chemical crop protection is needed, all workers can be collected in the hive by means of the BEEHOME system.
The hive contains two flight holes. Through one hole, bumblebees can fly in both directions. The other hole has the so-called Beehome feature: bumblebees can fly in, but not out. To achieve this, close the flight hole for two-way traffic. Within one hour, all bumblebees will have returned in the hive. Always consult the Koppert side effects information or your consultant before applying chemical pesticides.
- The sugar solution that is provided with the hive is generally sufficient for the entire life of the colony
- Secure the hive so that ants cannot enter it, f.e with a barrier of grease or insect glue
- Also avoid contact between plants and hive, since this can also be a way for ants to reach the hive
- If pollination is required during a longer period, regularly place new hives in the greenhouse
When a bumblebee visits a tomato flower, it bruises the flower, resulting in visible 'bite marks'. One visit is enough for good pollination. It is recommended to check the bruising on the open flowers. In normal weather and plant conditions, the level of bruising should be between 90 and 100 % of the open flowers.
In most other crops bumblebees do not leave visible traces of their activity.
The introduction rates of this product should be adjusted to the mode of action of the product and the results that can be expected in the crop where the product is applied. Your local Koppert consultant or recognized distributor will be able to advise you further.
Only use products that are permitted in your country/state and crop. Check local registration requirements.
Koppert Biological Systems can not be held liable for unauthorized use.