Spider Identification Guide
Learn How to Identify Spiders
By DoMyOwn staff
What do spiders look like? There are around 4,000 species of spiders in North America and they all differ in some way in their characteristics. That being said we have only 2-3 medically significant spiders in the US that would pose a threat by infesting a structure.
With so many species of spiders in the US, the size of the spiders vary greatly from 1/8" - 3".
The shape of the spider will be based on the species.
- Spiders have eight legs
- Spiders have fangs to inject venom into their prey
- Spiders may have 2, 4, 6 or 8 eyes
- Spiders have spinnerets located near the rear end, which are used to push out silk to make webs
- Spiders do not have bones
- Spiders do not have ears
- Spiders do have brains
- Some spiders have lungs called "book lungs"
- Spiders have two main body parts, or segments
Spider colors can vary from dark black to bright orange and most colors in between.
Where do spiders live? Spiders are known to be in every state of the US.
208 of 349 people found this article informative and helpful.
Was this article informative and helpful to you?