Tick Prevention Guide
How to Prevent Ticks
Print Article By DoMyOwn staff
Tick Prevention Steps
Tick Prevention For Dogs & Other Pets
If you take your dog to the dog park or walking in the woods, it would be a great plan to give them a quick rub down to be sure they are not bringing back any ticks back home. You can also apply a repellent spray on your pet fur just prior to venturing out to keep ticks away.
Products needed for Step 1
Indoor Tick Prevention
How to Keep Ticks Out of Your House
Outdoor Tick Prevention
Tick Prevention for the Yard
You can help keep ticks off of your property by creating a tick free zone:
- You should have an area that is at least 9 ft wide between your yard and any wooded area.
- Trim back trees to allow as much sunlight as possible into your yard.
- Keep grass as short.
- Remove as much leaf litter, wood piles and other yard debris as possible.
- A clearly defined, well manicured border between your yard and any wooded areas or weedy lots will reduce the chance of ticks infesting your yard.
- The addition of wood mulch or pea gravel to this border area will help deter tick infestations
- If your yard becomes infested most years you can preventatively start spraying the hot spot areas in the spring and continue once every 30 days through to the first frost
Products needed for Step 3
27 of 29 people found this article informative and helpful.