Fly Light Traps
By DoMyOwn staff
Ultraviolet fly light traps are safe, discreet, effective, and powerful. As an alternative to toxic chemical sprays, flies (and other bugs) find them irresistible- and you will too.
What is a UV Fly Light Trap?
An Ultraviolet Fly Light Trap is an insect trap that uses powerful ultraviolet rays to attract flies and other flying insect pests without the use of chemicals harmful, toxic chemicals.
When should I use a UV Fly Light Trap?
UV Fly Light Traps are ideal for use in settings and situations where using traditional fly sprays or chemicals would not be appropriate, or where discreet, low profile control is desired-such as kitchens, restaurants, or store fronts.
How Do UV Fly Light Traps work?
There are two basic kids of Fly Light Traps:
1) Ultraviolet Pheromone (Glue) Traps also attract flies using ultraviolet rays, but instead of electrocution, the fly gets stuck on a removable glue strip. Glue strips utilize pheromones to further attract nuisance flies that are not as readily attracted to the ultraviolet light. This model is appropriate for most public and food settings.
2) Ultraviolet Fly Zappers attract flies using ultraviolet rays, and then electrocute them. Fly Zappers are often used in warehouses. They are not generally appropriate for residential areas, business applications, or food-preparation areas where fly body parts might fall into food.
Benefits of UV Fly Light Traps
1) Ultraviolet rays are not harmful to people or pets, unlike toxic chemicals.
2) No unpleasant odors.
3) Powerful ultraviolet light provides for optimum coverage.
4) Ultraviolet rays attract a wide range of flying insects, not just flies.
5) Many ultraviolet fly traps are designed to look like ordinary light fixtures, making them perfect for discreet control in public venues.
When using an ultraviolet fly trap the following recommendations should be followed to maintain a successful fly management program:
- Selecting the correct location for this type of device is critical and should be carefully considered before installation. When installing a fly light be sure to install it away from sensitive areas. This will help draw flies away from areas where they could irritate customers or contaminate food products. Fly lights should also be placed away from doors and windows that open to the outside as the pheromones on the glue boards could potentially attract flies in from outdoors.
- It is important to perform routine maintenance on your fly light trap. These are the general guidelines that should be followed: Glue boards should be checked on a weekly basis. Glue boards that are dusty or full of insects are ineffective and should be changed. The ultraviolet light bulbs in fly light traps need to be replaced on scheduled dates, usually every 4-6 months. These bulbs should be changed even if they have not burned out. Over time the ultraviolet rays become weak and will no longer be attractive to flies. Read product the instruction guide to determine complete maintenance requirements for each individual device.
Use the fly light trap as part of your fly control program. Inspection, exclusion and good sanitation are equally important components of a well managed, successful fly control program. Inspect your facility to see where a fly problem is developing. Exclude flies from facility by using screens on windows and insecticides or baits labeled for flies outside. Use good sanitation practices and procedures in dumpster areas as well as food areas to help control fly populations. Failure to include all of the above mentioned components into your fly management program could lead to an ongoing fly issue and cause unsatisfactory conditions in sensitive areas.
View our entire line of Fly Control products, including fly bait, fly traps, and fly lights.
Sticky Pheromone Fly Traps
Getting Rid of Fruit Flies
Indoor Fly Control
Outdoor Fly Control
Natural Fly Control
12 of 12 people found this article informative and helpful.