I want to get rid of an Indian meal moth infestation in my kitchen.
I would prefer not to introduce anything toxic to me or my dogs. I've used traps, but w/ obvious limited success. A "non harmful" (to me and the dogs, not the moths) spray is what I think I need. My research has turned up several choices but I'm not sure which is the best for this situation. Thanks
There is no insecticide product on the market that is completely non-toxic. Even the natural or organic products have some level of toxicity, if they didn't they wouldn't be able to kill insects.We will say that most of the natural products that we carry are classified as 'safer to use' or 'less toxic'.
The best way to get rid of an Indian Meal Moth infestation is to clean out all of your cabinets and discard any infested items. Seal all goods that could potentially become infested in air tight plastic containers. While all items are out of the cabinets you should perform a deep clean. Vacuum and scrub all shelves, paying special attention to cracks and crevices where insects may harbor. Using a spray product in the cracks and crevices will help eliminate the moth larva that has crawled away from the food products to pupate. You will have to review the product labels and MSDS on individual products to decide which products you feel are safe enough to use in your home and are labeled for Indian Meal Moths. Different people will have different thresholds of what they feel is 'safe'. We recommend that you check out MotherEarth Py 2% or Topia Aerosol. You can find the product labels and MSDS on the product pages by clicking the links we have provided. The biggest danger with just about any insecticide is that people do not read and follow the product label and end up misusing the product.
Answer last updated on: 04/14/2011