• Please Note: If you have questions about an order you placed, shipping policies, product availability or product returns, please do not use this form. Direct these questions to our customer support center or by calling 866-581-7378.

    Most product questions are answered within 24 hours.
    Not all questions and answers will appear on our website. Thank you for choosing DoMyOwnPestControl.com!
  • * (limit 110 characters)
  • (optional)
  • *
  • *
  •   (city, state)
  •     Cancel

Q&A Home

Jenny from Atlanta, Ga writes,

We have wasps and I believe they are in our chimney. What should we do?

I also saw what seem like carpenter bees? We get one or two in the house every few days, but can't find a hive in the window areas. But when we're outside they seem to be swarming all over our chimney top.


Having a nest in a chimney can be a tricky thing to try and handle on your own as a homeowner. While it is something you can do, it takes extra precautions to make sure that you dont end up with a dangerous situation on your hands. Many customers hire a professional for this type of removal and you may want to do the same. If doing this yourself, you will need to first get a very fine mesh screen much like a window screen, and tack it up on the opening to your fireplace where it meets your home. This is to ensure that if any of the nest goes down the chimney, they do not flood into your home and create a hazardous situation inside. Once you have ensure that the screen is tightly in place on the inner side of the homes fireplace, you can go towards treating the nest itself. We would recommend something like Wasp-X which is an aerosol much like other wasp sprays you would buy, except it foams to engulf and expand around the nest and trap the insects in it to reduce the amount that fly back towards you as you spray. You will want to be sure to have on protective clothing to prevent yourself from stings should some of the nest fly up towards you as you are treating the nest from above. You may want to look at getting our Complete Bee Suit to make sure you are protected the same way the professionals would be as you treat. Once the nest has been sprayed, quickly leave the area and give the product time to do its job and eliminate the nest. Once you can tell that the nest is dead you can go about removing it from your chimney, and then clean the chimney to get rid of any chemical residual left behind by the Wasp-X

Answer last updated on: 10/29/2014

Was this answer helpful to you? Yes No