Mort from Raleigh, Nc writes,
After having my house spray washed, I now have what looks like millipedes coming into the house. How do I get rid of them?
Bifen IT is labeled for millipedes and will kill them when used according to the Bifen IT product label. We recommend using 1 fl oz of Bifen IT per gallon of water for the fastest knockdown and the longest lasting residual. Millipedes are usually going to frequent areas where there are high levels of moisture. There are some non-chemical things you can do to help make your property less favorable to millipedes:
Step 1) Non chemical Methods of Millipede Control
- Repair cracks, crevices, and gaps around windows, doors, pipes and wires with sealant or caulk
- Makes sure the screens and door sweeps on windows and doors are tight-fitting
Eliminate Favorable Conditions:
- Fix leaky faucets or pipes and dry up wet or damp areas where millipedes thrive
- Remove outdoor harborages near the home that hold moisture (compost, wood, or leaf piles, etc).
- Store firewood off the ground at least 20 feet away from the home
- Water your lawn in the morning so that it will be dry by afternoon
- Do not over mulch flower beds, since soggy mulch is an ideal harborage for millipedes
Answer last updated on: 08/26/2014