How to Keep Snakes Away
Snake Prevention Guide
Print Article By DoMyOwn staff
How to Keep Snakes Out of Your Yard & House
Learn What Keeps Snakes Away
Sanitation:If you are seeing snakes around your home or property on a regular basis, it is because conditions are favorable. Any of the following environmental modifications will aid in snake control by discouraging them from making their home near yours:
- Eliminate tall stands of vegetation.
- Trim shrubs and bushes so that you can see beneath them to eliminate snake hiding areas
- Remove piles of lumber, rocks, or other debris that may harbor smaller pests that snakes like to eat.
- Cover up or fill entrances to rodent burrows that may attract snakes.
- Control of rats, mice, and other rodents will result in greater snake control.
- Snake proof fences constructed around a home or garden will keep most snakes out. If made of fine mesh 24 to 46 inches high and buried several inches in the ground.
Exclusion:When snakes are found inside the home, there is usually a point of entry that has been overlooked. Snakes are able to constrict themselves to pass through very small openings.
- Search the foundation specifically for any gaps or crevices larger than 1/4 inch and up to three feet in grade.
- Vents in crawl spaces should be guarded by screens with a mesh no larger than 1/4 inch.
- Door sweeps and weather stripping should be replaced if there is a gap present
Do Mothballs Keep Snakes Away?Many homeowners try using mothballs as a snake repellent. This is not advisable because mothballs are not formulated for outdoor use nor are they labeled for this use.
When snakes are often found on a property it is usually indicative of a high rodent population. If you control the rodents on your property, you can limit the snakes as well as they will have to search elsewhere for food. Please review our rat control guide and our mouse control guide to learn how to control these rodents on your property.
Products needed for Step 1
75 of 86 people found this article informative and helpful.