• Please Note: If you have questions about an order you placed, shipping policies, product availability or product returns, please do not use this form. Direct these questions to our customer support center or by calling 866-581-7378.

    Most product questions are answered within 24 hours.
    Not all questions and answers will appear on our website. Thank you for choosing DoMyOwn.com!
  • * (limit 110 characters)
  • (optional)
  • *
  • *
  •   (city, state)
  •     Cancel

Q&A Home

Rick from Merritt Island, Fl writes,

What should I use to get rid of big headed ants on my property?

I live in Central Fl and the Big Headed Ant population in my neighborhood is off the charts. They are in my pool and filter as well as all over the lawn. Currently my pest control guy uses Termidor around the house to prevent them from coming indoors. Can I use Termidor on my property? Can I use Dominion as a cost effective replacement? Other research shows the Cypermethrins are effective against Big Headed Ants but there is nothing here with that info.


Termidor SC is not labeled to be used all over your property. Termidor SC is only labeled for use directly on or immediately adjacent to a structure which is why your pest control operator is limiting his use to these places. Dominion does have a broader usage label but it is not labeled for use all over your property for ants. If you can find the nesting sites of he big headed ant colonies you can drench them with a cypermethrin product such as Demon WP or Cyper WP. If you cannot find the colonies you should consider using an ant baits such as Maxforce Complete Granules and Gourmet Liquid Ants Bait in ant bait stations. Baits tend to work well because they have a delayed reaction time which allows the ants to get back to the nesting site and share the bait with the colony. It is also very important to remove piles of wood, stones and other debris to discourage nesting.

Answer last updated on: 12/26/2011

14 of 17 people found this answer helpful. Was it helpful to you?   Yes No